Considering we spend about a third of our lives sleeping, there are a lot of things most of us don't know about it. Here's a list of 11 surprising facts about sleep, from Buzzfeed.com.
1. The record for staying awake is 18 days, 21 hours, and 40 minutes.
2. Parents of a new baby usually lose about 400 to 750 hours of sleep in the first year.
3. After five nights of not getting enough sleep, three drinks can get you just as drunk as six drinks normally would.
4. 12% of people dream in black-and-white. Before color TV, it was 75%.
5. You get most sleepy from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM, and from 3:00 AM to 5:00 AM. And you can achieve maximum alertness at 1:00 PM and 1:00 AM.
6. A newborn baby sleeps between 10 and 19 hours per day.
7. If you went without food and sleep, you'd die from SLEEP deprivation first. Ten days without sleep can kill you . . . but it takes about two weeks to starve.
8. Blind people can still see images in their dreams.
9. Not getting enough sleep can make you gain weight. When you're sleep deprived, you tend to feel hungrier, and it can make you overeat.
10. Losing sleep can reduce your pain tolerance.
11. Counting sheep doesn't work.